Saturday 2 August 2014

Why I bought a Megadrive (or how I got a Mega CD)

So back on the 20th I posted the pictures of my brother's collection on Facebook (easiest way of getting them off my phone and onto my laptop as I have no idea where my transfer cable is) when I received the following message from my friend Rhyd.


  • Rhydian Caines
    Rhydian Caines


    Hi Fiona!

    Sorry for the slightly random email out of the blue, but I was just scrolling through Facebook and your collection of retro games consoles came up (awesome work by the way:-)). The thing being, I have an original Sega Mega CD here (see photo), a relic of my childhood that's been sat here for some time and which I've not really known what to do with. I had thought to put it on eBay but I've got no way of establishing whether or not it actually works as I don't have a Mega Drive anymore. I also don't have a power supply for it, though I imagine it's possible to get something that will work with it off of Amazon or something.

    Anyway - I wondered if you wanted it!? It would look pretty ace as part of your collection, and if you're happy to cover the postage cost you can have it for free. I'd just be happy to see it going to a good home, and it helps me out with de-cluttering, as we're moving house in the forseeable future and it would be nice to not have to pack it! I'm sorry I can't make any guarantees right now about its working-ness but I'm hopeful you can figure that out - obviously if it's no good you're welcome to chuck it I have a very vague memory of white specks appearing on the screen sometimes when you turned it on from cold, but which disappeared after 10 minutes or so.

    There's a few games for it too which I can send as well - Sonic CD; Silpheed; Night Trap; Lethal Enforcers 2: Gunfighters; Cobra Command; and a 'Classics' compilation CD including the Mega Drive titles Golden Axe, Super Monaco GP, Streets of Rage, Columns, and Revenge of Shinobi. I've also got a box for Final Fight, but no disc - it might actually be in the Mega CD but like I say I can't power it up!
    Anyway as I say sorry that's all a bit random, but if it's of any interest let me know. If not, no worries at all! I hope everything is going well with you.
    All the best,
    Rhyd
Now how was I supposed to say No to that kind of offer?! Obviously I jumped at the chance of owning a Mega-CD and games for the cost of postage. (£7.19 btw) I figured I'd use my brother's megadrives to test it as the power cables are interchangeable and then buy my own at a later date.



So the Mega-Cd arrived on Wednesday and I dug out my brother's megadrive 1 & 2 to test it out when I found out that the power-cable for the Megadrive 2 has a different connecter and isn't backwards compatible! Luckily I had already caved and bought my own Megadrive 1 from eBay, all I had to do was wait for it to arrive....

Which it did a couple of days ago but due to work etc I've only just had time to plug it all in and test it out, obvious game for me to test it on was Sonic CD, I love me some Sonic!!

Safe to say I think it still works!! 

In keeping with my Sonic Obsession I bought this job-lot of Sonic games from eBay including Sonic & Knuckles (which someone on YouTube affectionately referred to at the original DLC!) Sonic 2 even included the original promo poster.


Definitely gonna be framing this bad boy alongside my Sonic print :)

No comments:

Post a Comment