Saturday 11 October 2014

EUROGAMER!!!

E3 is like a holiday for me, in face it should be a recognised as one! Ever since I was at college and had the chance to watch some footage of the show online (I didn't have my own computer at the time) I made sure I was always free to watch the live streams of all the main conferences. Memories such as seeing the first trailer for the Gamecube launch title Rogue Squadron 2 and THAT trailer for Twilight Princess, are among the best I've had when learning about new games and hardware, even if not all of them lived up to my own personal hype.

So why am I talking about E3 when the last one was about four months ago, well because unsurprisingly I've always wanted to go. To experience E3 first hand is one of the highest entries on my bucket list (right after; write a bucket list). Watching Nintendo's Digital Event this year and seeing Bayonetta, Captain Toad, Splatoon etc. and not having a chance to try these games as I salivate over every video, screenshot and preview I can find online is enough to make a grown man cry.

So as time goes on, I hear about an event here in the UK called Eurogamer Expo (EXG for short) and heard good things so Gmrgrl and I decided to give it a try. We didn't look into it to much before the event but heard that there was a retro section which we thought included sellers of retro games (more on that later). As we entered into Earls Court I was blown away by what I saw, I felt like I was on the other side of the world in LA at E3, albeit a smaller less crowded E3. 



As you would expect with us, we went straight to Nintendo's booth, after playing Balloon Fight on stage for a competition. We were so overwhelmed that I cant even remember what that was even about and Gmrgrl forgot to take photos of me playing but I took one of the guy before me



Anyway I digress. We entered the Nintendo booth and one of the first things we saw was the prototype for some of the first wave of Amiibo Figures. If the quality stays as good as the prototypes shown they will be well worth the £10.99 asking price just to display.

So much want!!

After drooling over these figures for about 5 minutes, we headed into the booth properly. I was so overwhelmed I didn't know where to start! Gmrgrl wisely suggested we have a quick look around and see whats on show before we try anything so we did a lap of the convention centre. 

Too much to see, too little time!

So after having a quick look around we decided to hunt down the retro section as we were itching to expand our collection. however, after finding it, we quickly realised that they didn't have any sellers there. As this was one of the main reasons we decided to come to EGX, we couldn't help but feel a bit despondent. however, after a not so great lunch we headed back into the event and found some merch that did get us excited! (all will be explained in our pick ups post after this one) there was some very cool figures and merch from Japan that we just don't normally get to see over here. I'll be bringing more money next year!


Just some of the awesome displays at EGX

After a little spending spree, we headed back into Nintendo's booth. I couldn't decided what to try first so we watched a Super Smash Brothers for WiiU tournament play out live. Seeing the game on a huge screen is something else! The game runs at a silky smooth 60fps and looks stunning! All the competitors were using Gamecube controllers and it's good to see Nintendo embracing the hardcore Smash fans this way.



As much as I would have liked to take part in the Smash tournament, the queues were far too long so we decided to check out Splatoon first. As one of the new IP's that Nintendo showed at their Digital Event, this was the game I was most excited to try out. The idea of a online multiplayer shooter developed with that Nintendo twist seemed like a perfect game to push more gamers online in the way Mario Kart and Smash can. We were divided into two groups of four to play a single round and unlike other shooters which focus on kills, the aim of Splatoon is to paint as much of the map in your teams colour as possible.


Despite my brief time with the game, I was very impressed with what I played. The use of motion controls, while talking time to get used to, feel far more accurate then just using the conventional method of duel analog (although the rep did say you can stitch between the two). I'm fascinated to see what else they add to beef out the game for release, but as a main concept, Splatoon has a lot of potential.

Next we played a game that both Gmrgrl and I are very excited for, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. As we expected, it was brilliant! The game has a Pixar quality to its design and animation and almost feels tangible, like I can reach in and pick up Captain Toad. Its games like this that makes me wish Nintendo supported 3D on the Wii U. Due to time we only got to play one level but according to the rep, I was the first to find all three gems in that level.

 Gmrgrl playing Captain Toad

Following on form Toad, we checked out Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, a sudo sequial to Kirby: Canvas Curse on the DS which I missed out on at the time but after playing this, I'll have to track it down. You play mostly with the Gamepad's touch screen by drawing lines to guide a continusly moving Kirby through the level. Like Splatoon, this takes a little getting used to but even in my short play time I found it a joy to play, espically in the level that had Kirby transformed into a tank! The claymation style graphics look stunning and adds real charm to even the smallest detail, flowers pulse and platforms mould when Kirby hits them. If Aardman animations made a game, it would look like this.
By this point time was getting on so we tried to find games with shorter queues. This means we didnt get time to play some games we've been really looking forward to such as Yoshi's Woolly World (which looks beautiful), Bayonetta and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 3DS. However, this gave us a chance to check out some of the awesome Indie games Nintendo were showcasing. First of which was Shovel Knight. We played the 3DS version but the game loses none of its charm on the small screen. Yacht Club games have captured the essance of the 8 bit NES games of my youth in both look and feel. It's odd to have a nostalgic feeling when playing a game thats not even out yet!
 
Another Indie title which I have been looking forward to that I got to try was Affordable Space Adventure from KnapNok Games. You control a rented spaceship that has creashed for unknown reasons on what can only be described as the darkest planet in the universe! with only basic movement available to you at the beginning, your ship is in dire straghts and is continuinly in a state of repaire, with more functions coming back online as you progress, playing out as a explortury puzzle solving shooter (with not much shooting). The game has a great atmosphere which come across well even in a crouded conventon hall and Bayonetta behind me playing on the loudest soundsystem!

By this point we unfortunately had to make our way home. as it was our first time at a show like this, we both felt overwhelmed and as a result, didn't get a chance to fully take in all that we wanted to. As much of a Nintendo as I am, I would have liked to have checked out Sony's and Microsoft's booth's and some of the 3rd party offerings. However, we loved out time at EGX and will be far more prepared for next years event. I'll leave you with more photos from the day.












No comments:

Post a Comment