Wednesday 15 October 2014

Patent Pending presents: Mario & the Brick Breakers!

A week ago Tachiko & I headed back to Cowley road to see one of my favourite bands, Patent Pending, play.


As we reached the venue we noticed that the game shop was open so we popped in for a quick look as we were early (but more on that another time)

Inside the venue I spotted Joe, the lead singer, chatting with some fans so I wandered over to see if I could get my picture taken with him, he agreed happily and said he loved my t-shirt (princess peach), looked at Tachiko's t-shirt (Mario) and said 'I like your tee too...I have that tee....PRIMARNI!!'


I told Joe that we loved the song 'Hey Mario' from the album Brighter and Joe asked if we had heard of the album they've done called 'Mario & the Brick Breakers' which they decided to produce after the Hey Mario song proved to be so popular. I replied that I had heard it but had yet to buy a copy.
We wandered over to the Merch table while waiting for the show to start only to see that they were selling copies of the album for £5 so of course I had to buy it!! 


I went back over to Joe who was signing tickets for people and asked him to sign it for me, He agreed to saying they'd only got the albums that day and as far as he knew I was the first person to buy a physical copy!

During the show I kept wondering if Hey Mario would be played when the band all suddenly left the stage except Joe who sang a song called Spin me Around which he wrote for his wife. 

Joe then said they were leaving the stage for a band who were very big in the 90's.... and came back on dressed as Mario & The Brickbreakers!

Oddly enough I don't have any photos of the band dressed up which is a massive shame

They played several songs from the brickbreakers album including My Princess Peach, Boom Boom Pass the Mushroom & Rainbow Road.... But not Hey Mario! I was beginning to lose hope towards the end of the show but luckily they played it in the encore! 

Tachiko did shoot a couple of videos of the Brickbreakers part and of Hey Mario but the lyrics of the songs are bit hard to hear so check out the official lyric video for Hey Mario below!


 Patent Pending have also done a documentary as Mario & The Brickbreakers, check it out below!



Here are a couple more photos of the gig for you guys!


This band, Suburban Legends, was one of the opening acts and they are AMAZING!! All their songs have a real feel good factor and they do some amazing Disney cover songs :)

I want that Batman Scarf!


No comments:

Post a Comment